dear Winnie Dixon

Thursday, July 9, 2015




































top photo is from last week

Dogs are minor angels, and I don't mean that facetiously. They love unconditionally, forgive immediately, are the truest of friends, willing to do anything that makes us happy, etcetera. If we attributed some of those qualities to a person we would say they are special. If they had ALL of them, we would call them angelic. But because it's "only" a dog, we dismiss them as sweet or funny but little more. However when you think about it, what are the things that we most like in another human being? Many times those qualities are seen in our dogs every single day-- we're just so used to them that we pay no attention.

Jonathan Carroll

Our days, Miss D & mine ... together

A post from May 2013 / our nearly 15 years worth of days are coming to an end - I'm quite sure of it. I bless her beautiful soul for rejoicing & bounding with grace & love into her 16th year and I relish in how lucky I am to have shared her company for such a very long time. But our days together, they are diminishing. I see it, I feel it, I resist it, yet I am grateful for it. I don't want to hold her back. I know how very lucky I have been to have this beautiful shaggalicious, odd, neurotic, fearful, crab killing, muskrat hunting, & extremely loving girl with me for 14 + years. Wow ! I watch her lurching gracefully into her 16th year. She, who's been with me for forever - it seems ... who's comforted me through so many near unbearable sadnesses. I love her, desperately. I cannot imagine life without her.

I love you Winnie Dixon with all my heart. Here's to our remaining days xoxo Susan
I love you & I promise I will not cling to you. & I will forever rejoice in all of our glorious days together. Always.




to live in this world
you must be able
to do three things
to love what is mortal;
to hold it 
against your bones knowing
your own life depends on it;
and, when the time comes to let it go,

let it go

Mary Oliver

Today, October 27th 2014 is that day - the time has come to let you go Missy D. Oh my ! my sweet girl the many adventures we've shared. You have been my constant companion for such a very long time I do find it hard to imagine my life without you, but thankfully I never will be without you because you have a permanent home in my heart and our life together will live on in words and in photos, hopefully forever, here on this blog. I adore you Winnie Dixon & I always will ! xoxo Susan

Miss Winnie (Darn) Dixon / January 1999 - October 2014

Sorrow prepares you for joy. It violently sweeps everything out of your house, so that new joy can find space to enter. It shakes the yellow leaves from the bough of your heart, so that fresh, green leaves can grow in their place. It pulls up the rotten roots, so that new roots hidden beneath have room to grow. 

Rumi

(original post from Oct 2014 - if this blog is going to remain out there in the universe indefinitely without further updates I want Miss D, my Winnie Dixon and her beautiful self to be the first thing someone comes across when they stumble upon this blog - love you my Dee girl xoxo)






































































































11 comments:

  1. Now there was a good dog. And shaggalicious! We miss you Winnie D, and we want you back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to see a post from you. I also read your newer blog and it has been quiet (but so have I).
    Love those shaggy legs and her beautiful spirit.
    Hugs, Kitty USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful, beautiful girl she was xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I wasn't expecting this and now I am weeping again.....how I miss that sweet little face.....and as I look at all her pictures, I wish I could plant a kiss on the very tip of that adorable little nose......thank you for this.....it is as it should be: if someone comes across this well-loved blog, they should first see this well-loved dog...hugs to you, Miss Winnie D......I know you have it goin' on in heaven today.....and, rest assured, Miss Susan Black has it goin' on down here....but, oh how wonderful it would have been for you to be here for it all.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pic of a young Miss Winnie with snow on her face.

    Lovely tribute to a special companion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely tribute to sweet Winnie, beautiful words, memories and photos of her lovely face and her many expressions.
    It is so lovely to see your post dear Susan, you are missed, so is Winnie... I hope you have settled in your new home and will post again soon. I miss all of you, Oliver, Gussie Gus, Itty Bitty Betty and Sam.
    Love and hugs to all!
    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful pictures. The best of times.
    Of course they never really leave us. They just run on ahead .

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely tribute to a very special girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never met Ms. Winnie D in person, but I sure fell in love with her through your blog. I think we all miss that shaggalicious sweet face.

    I love your photos of your new home, but I sure miss your voice. I hope you soon find time to post a note here or at your new blog soon! I'm missing your recipes too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for leaving these comments ... I am so glad I took so many photos of her shaggalicious beauty ! & Sybil that photo is a favourite of mine also - she was barely a year old and that was taken weeks after I adopted her. I loved (love) her so much ... love to you all my other gang ;-)

    I am trying to find my blogging voice again, stay tuned please ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. We all came to love your beautiful Winnie D. through your blog, thank you for sharing her, I miss her sweet face.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.