sundry items

Wednesday, August 22, 2007


geraniums

Neighbours Jean & Laird update

I spoke with Jean yesterday morning. I just stepped out onto the street on my way to the post office and she was being dropped off at home by her brother Mark. Lucy, Lester's wife (neighbours to the left) also must have heard Jean arrive home so we all gathered on the street in front of Jean's house to get the latest on Laird's health. She was just back from an early morning trip to the hospital and there has been some improvement in his condition. He's far from out of the woods but he was responding to people and although still unable to speak Jean said that you could tell that he wanted to. The Dr's seemed more positive and Jean seemed in good spirits and continues to be touched by the kindness & concern shown by everyone.

Books Read ?

I consider myself an avid reader and I don't know if any one's noticed but my books' read column is not yet a column – it's an item. I began this blog mid July and here we are nearing the end of August and I can't yet add another book to that list and if I were to be brutally honest I would confess that I didn't actually finish Love Eat Pray and had to reorder it from the library and I'm now second in line for it. A bit of a reading slump or drought although I did begin reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides last night. A book that has been on my "want to read" list for several years, last year I bought a copy at a yard sale and this year Oprah made it her summer reading pick. I only read in bed and the act of reading puts me to sleep almost instantaneously so...it often takes awhile to get through a book. Last night I fell asleep at page 10, the book has 527 pages but I'm confident my pace will pick up, it's a really easy book to read because you're swept immediately into the characters & their lives...it's written in that very familiar & descriptive humorous style that I love.

A recipe for Sally

I haven't actually made this yet myself but I thought it sounded good, easy and I bet my Aunt Sally would like it. It's from the last page (The Last Touch) of the August 2007 Gourmet magazine

Cheddar Horseradish Spread

2 cups coarsely grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups finely chopped radish
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons drained bottled horseradish
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
2 teaspoons dijon mustard

Stir together all ingredients with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt & pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.