just begin

Friday, October 4, 2013














a walk from the large dock along the boardwalk to the crescent beach ... just me & my camera - sigh  ... absolutely heavenly

The most important thing about art is to work. 
Nothing else matters except sitting down every day and trying.
Steven Pressfield


I've been hearing about the book The War of Art everywhere it seems. Many artist's & motivational speakers that I listen to on youtube or who's blogs I read keep mentioning this book - another message from Madam Universe. I finally decided to order a copy of my own through an amazon second hand seller and wouldn't you know it just as my copy finally arrived Oprah has the author Steven Pressfield on her fantastic show Super Soul Sunday (watch the interview here but watch it soon because the videos don't stay live for long). M. Universe at it again & she with her perfect timing for I am battling the war of art intensely at the moment, in fact I feel completely freakin' paralyzed by "resistance" or fear, self doubt that chattering roommate in my head (in our heads) trying to convince us that we will surely fail before we even begin. 

Resistance is not a peripheral opponent. 
Resistance arises from within. 
It is self-generated and self-perpetuated. 
Resistance is the enemy within.
Steven Pressfield

I am embarking on the biggest, best & hopefully most beautiful, most creative project to date - no pressure here ;-) I know what I have to do. I have to tell that roommate of mine to shut up ! I need to dive in. I need to put my fearless game on. I need to make & do. I need to stop thinking (& writing) about it. I need to just begin.

Someone once asked Somerset Maughham if he wrote on a schedule or only when struck by inspiration. "I write only when inspiration strikes," he replied. "Fortunately it strikes every morning at nine o'clock sharp".
Steven Pressfield

5 comments:

  1. I clean house only when the mood strikes. I hope it strikes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking forward to seeing your biggest project ... loving the photos of the Sea. Tail wags ~moose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing a little of your neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful... thank you for sharing so much.
    Kenza.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful images of your special places dear Susan.
    Best wishes for this great project, don't listen to that voice of doubt, I am sure you will be fine.
    Somerset Maugham was most fortunate, I wish I was struck with inspiration every day.
    hugs
    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.