the sea, the sea & me

Tuesday, July 29, 2014





finally the FINAL ;-) goodness you can tweak & fuss & add & remove & fuss some more

Those who live by the sea can hardly form a single thought of which the sea would not be part. Hermann Broch

Something completely unheard of has happened ... seriously  I cannot remember a time when this has happened. I am madly in love with a piece I just created . I was asked if I would donate an art piece to a fundraising event for the nearby (Parsborro) Ship's Company Theatre - even though attending (gasp !) a live theatre event would mean leaving my much adored hermetically sealed bubble it sure doesn't mean, at all, that I 'm not thrilled to support such an fantastic regional cultural organization.

So ... on the heels of my recent Lilla Roger's Bootcamp Nautical themed illustration assignment,  (after all I do live in a tiny seaside village in Nova Scotia & I can sea the ocean from my studio windows, it is exactly 139 steps to the harbours edge) ++  my fear, with this impending move (& selling of the beloved 29 Black Street) that I will somehow lose the sea ... my sea. Because I know not having easy access to the sea would damage me - I know that clear & simple. All this to say I've been on a bit of a, clinging, nautical kick (which is a really good thing) - of course a few flowers and butterflies find their way into all my creations but the sea, the sea has been my theme of late.

Turns out I love this new mixed media piece the sea, the sea so much that I know I cannot part with it - but alas and thank goodness a back-up plan is always in place and instead of donating the nautical themed piece I will donate one of my favourite botanical collages - pictured in photo 4 & 5 - framed with the help of that indispensable Prince of Every Darn Good Thing You Could Imagine - Doug.

In still moments by the sea life seems large-drawn and simple. It is there we can see into ourselves. Rolf Edberg

and photo of this piece actually framed - I am crazy about it - that never happens !! ;-)





12 comments:

  1. ah.... yes, keep the Sea!!! I am loving the framing. Just a thought, these need to be made into Museum Mounted canvases because I am loving the "wrap around" style Doug did?
    Tail wags to the Sea + All ~moose
    PS... I am presently by the same Sea..if you float down the Atlantic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to not be the only one who loves my own work too much to give it away (or sell it). The Sea is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. xoxo Moose + Denise - we need to have a big ol' phone chat soon & properly catch up ...please xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joanne because I always scan my work & then have it to reproduce a million, zillion ways - most often as giclee prints, this never happens to me- I never seem to be attached to any work I do. I find also it usually takes awhile for some new piece I've created to "grow" on me but I am crazy instantaneously crazy about this piece (which feels so lovely) and the original is NOT going anywhere - so happy to have found your blog I'm off now for a visit - I LOVE Maine xoxo Susan & gang

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where ever you end up you'll be near the sea. I've seen your "short list".... lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. xoxoxxoxoxoxox Sybil ... maybe we'll be neighbours or at least within walking distance love ya !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The finished piece looks wonderful and framed as well by your Prince, I am pleased you plan to keep it.
    I hope wherever you move to will be near the sea...I grew up near the sea and though bays and oceans aren't that far away, I cannot just walk to my beach now.
    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous!! I'm always attached to my work. This is likely why I hardly sell any. Dang! Love coming to this lovely blog of yours S

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful work Susan! I LOVE the "Sea and me"!!! I hope you can make some smaller ones which I can buy!!! like Tiny House, and a few others of yours that I now own and LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS. Doug's frames are beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Claire Quinn - this definitely will be a giclee print & perhaps a new "tiny life by the sea" series as living very near the sea is my No.1 priority for this upcoming move.

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.