dear Winnie Dixon

Monday, October 27, 2014
















top photo is from last week

Dogs are minor angels, and I don't mean that facetiously. They love unconditionally, forgive immediately, are the truest of friends, willing to do anything that makes us happy, etcetera. If we attributed some of those qualities to a person we would say they are special. If they had ALL of them, we would call them angelic. But because it's "only" a dog, we dismiss them as sweet or funny but little more. However when you think about it, what are the things that we most like in another human being? Many times those qualities are seen in our dogs every single day-- we're just so used to them that we pay no attention.

Jonathan Carroll

Our days, Miss D & mine ... together

A post from May 2013 / our nearly 15 years worth of days are coming to an end - I'm quite sure of it. I bless her beautiful soul for rejoicing & bounding with grace & love into her 16th year and I relish in how lucky I am to have shared her company for such a very long time. But our days together, they are diminishing. I see it, I feel it, I resist it, yet I am grateful for it. I don't want to hold her back. I know how very lucky I have been to have this beautiful shaggalicious, odd, neurotic, fearful, crab killing, muskrat hunting, & extremely loving girl with me for 14 + years. Wow ! I watch her lurching gracefully into her 16th year. She, who's been with me for forever - it seems ... who's comforted me through so many near unbearable sadnesses. I love her, desperately. I cannot imagine life without her.

I love you Winnie Dixon with all my heart. Here's to our remaining days xoxo Susan
I love you & I promise I will not cling to you. & I will forever rejoice in all of our glorious days together. Always.

to live in this world
you must be able
to do three things
to love what is mortal;
to hold it 
against your bones knowing
your own life depends on it;
and, when the time comes to let it go,

let it go

Mary Oliver

Today, October 27th 2014 is that day - the time has come to let you go Missy D. Oh my ! my sweet girl the many adventures we've shared. You have been my constant companion for such a very long time I do find it hard to imagine my life without you, but thankfully I never will be without you because you have a permanent home in my heart and our life together will live on in words and in photos, hopefully forever, here on this blog. I adore you Winnie Dixon & I always will ! xoxo Susan

Miss Winnie (Darn) Dixon / January 1999 - October 2014

Sorrow prepares you for joy. It violently sweeps everything out of your house, so that new joy can find space to enter. It shakes the yellow leaves from the bough of your heart, so that fresh, green leaves can grow in their place. It pulls up the rotten roots, so that new roots hidden beneath have room to grow. 

Rumi


































27 comments:

  1. Dearest Winnie, you have been a wonderful, loving companion. RIP. A hug to Susan and family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Susan and Les Gang,

    Sending comfort and prayers to you and Les Gang. Having lost beloved pets many, many times over the decades, know the heartwrenching you feel. Sincerest gratitude to you for sharing her and Les Gang and your beautiful perspective of the world with us. XO XO.
    ML Rich

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been dreading this post, Susan - Ms. Winnie D has become so much 'our' dog (your readers) that I am in tears at the news. My heart goes out to you - you are in my prayers - and know that Ms. Winnie D has had the BEST life thanks to you and YOUR unconditional love. Nothing can make this easier, however the memories, in time, will make it bearable. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Susan
      Every day I read your blog and every day I fear that I am going to read that Winnie is gone. Through your writings and photos we have come to know so much about this special relationship you and she have. Nothing anyone can say can ease your sadness and today I cried for you and for myself and for all people that lose their loving companions. There have been many dogs in my life and I have cried for them all but thirty years ago I lost a girl that I still mourn. To have even one bond with an animal such as you had with Winnie is a blessed thing. My heart is heavy for you today and I send you my deepest sympathy.

      Delete
  4. Oh Susan! Be brave, cry, and then a bit more. She loved you too, and that will never leave you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet, shaggalicious Winnie Dixon, bless you for all your teachings of love, trust, companionship. You are much loved. It hurts to say goodbye to you.

    Susan, my heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Winnie--what a beautiful companion. I'm thinking of you today and wishing you and Winnie peace and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear sweet Susan. I'm sitting here at Starbucks and tears are streaming down my cheeks. I remember when I first discovered your lovely home here and the years since, getting to know you and your lovely furry companions. I know Winnie as brought you SO much joy and love. Know this, she may not be there physically anymore but she will ALWAYS be there in spirit with you. Always. Sending you all the love in the world from here to you. I'm here - love you very much!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart is breaking for you, Susan. Sending you hugs and peace and loving thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry. You loved her and she loved you - that's the essential thing. How lucky to have all those years together.

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry Susan. I've dreaded this day as I've grown to love Miss Winnie too over the years. My deepest sympathy xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful tribute to your beautiful Winnie dearest Susan, just a glimpse of the happy hours you have spent together. It is so sad that this day has come, just too heartbreaking to lose such a beloved girl. Thinking of you my dear in your sadness, remember Winnie will always be there with you in spirit, always a place in your heart.
    Much love, Dianne xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw your post slip into my "in" box this afternoon while I was still at the office. On the phone, on hold as I so often am, I opened it up, eager to see beautiful pictures of dogs & flora & fauna & life in Nova Scotia while I waited....I was not prepared.....as soon as I realized what I was reading, my eyes flooded with tears and I cried out "OH NO!" before I could bite back the words. I cradled the phone and I wept. I, too, knew that this day was drawing close but I couldn't stand to think of it, so I reveled in the precious spirit of Miss Winnie Dixon and pretended to myself that we would all live forever.....today reality has presented itself in full measure.....I am so very sorry, Susan....but I am so happy for Winnie that she lived this grand and wonderful life with you and your sweet brood @ 29 Black Street. When I first discovered your blog, you had only recently lost your "big red dog" and you were struggling mightily under the weight of that grief. Slowly, the days turned into weeks and your other furry family members loved you through that awful time. We were all so grateful. I remember the first time I saw Miss Winnie Dixon, I swear I could "feel" the strength of her spirit through my computer screen as strongly as if she stood here beside me and I could kiss that darling black head and scratch her little terrier ears. I was enthralled with her. I had such a strong sense of her quiet being that seemed to pour out of every snapshot of her....you rescued her and then she returned the favor a thousand times over. Please know that I hold all of you close in my heart tonight and in my prayers, going forward. None of us will ever forget how knowing her has blessed our lives. RIP, dear and beloved Miss Winnie....our hearts ache for you ....but we will see you again one day.....and it will be GLORIOUS......

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so very sorry, Susan, have grown very fond of Winnie through your posts, thinking of you lots. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a life you two have had together. I hope that always, always you will hold close the joy of having known her. Letting them go is just a hair's breadth easier when your life together has been long and well-lived, and I suspect you will feel her with you often. That kind of love does not die. RIP Miss Winnie.

    And thank you for sharing her. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Susan and Gang, I am so sorry to read about Winnie. You have lead us to this day slowly, gently, patiently and with love, you have shared the path you need for your transition with Winnie. She will forever be with us through pictures, words and deeply in our hearts as with yours. My heart is heavy for you today. xxoo Kitty USA

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ditto Janet and all above. Your sweet girl, Winnie Dixon - crying with you Susan, dreaded day...her spirit will live on in you. jelli, uk xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Susan, I am so sorry. There are no words. So many people sharing in your sadness. She was well loved. We were so lucky to know her through you. Please take care of yourself and the rest of the gang. They will all be missing her, too. And ready to give you hugs and cuddles.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As all your friends here I too am heartbroken over the loss of your beloved Winnie. She was such a special, special girl. Her eyes in all your photos just exuded love for you. I am sure she thought she was one lucky dog to have you. I cried yesterday when I read your post and I am crying today as I write this. I think she touched all of us in a very special way. I know your pain must be unbearable right now. Please know that I am thinking of you and the Gang and sending prayers your way. Take care.

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Susan, I am so sorry to hear of your loss, sending you love and energy from my tiny corner of the world. Your sweet girl will never be forgotten...

    ReplyDelete
  20. When you're ready, read Rainbow Bridge - we all have that in our hearts x

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh Susan, I've just read your news and am deeply saddened for you. Such a sweet girl. It's so very difficult to say goodbye. Your in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am very sorry to hear this, Susan. Your photos capture her beautifully, as well as your relationship with her. Thank you for your support of Estorbo...x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my, I can't think of any words that would help ease your pain. My heart hurts for you. She looks like such a gentle soul, and she was so very, very lucky to have you as her human.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sending special tail wags + many woofs to All . . .
    "Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day.
    It is amazing how much love and laughter they bring into our lives and even how much closer we become with each other because of them".
    ~ John Grogan, Marley and Me:

    ReplyDelete
  25. She will always be in your heart and in ours.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I know now why Alex said I must read this. and why she felt your loss and love so well. this is both so sad yet a beautiful tribute too.

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.