a wish, a rant

Tuesday, September 11, 2012









































my first basic colour repeat pattern - oh boy - learning both Illustrator & Photoshop - finally

I wish ... I could rescue every poor, neglected dog that lives it's life on a rusty 10 ft chain - a rant

Every dog who strains, choking at a collar that's far too tight, a collar so tight it makes the dog gasp for a breath. I wish I could rescue all the dogs who stand in yards attached to these rusted chains and bark endlessly, hopelessly, pleadingly ... please pay some attention to me ... please.

dogs are pack animals - they want to be in the den with the pack

We have a new family in town (they moved in about 3 weeks ago) 2 streets over, they're renting a house that is for sale. I've spoken to them once about their frantically barking dog, I've called their landlord pleading with him to say something ... anything - to remind these people that they have moved to a village where we treat our dogs really well. In this village we don't leave our family pets outside barking pitifully for hours on end, day in day out. In darkness, in cold & in pouring rain. We don't let our dogs bark, bark, bark endlessly hoping that they might join their pack inside. What is wrong with people ? How can they listen to that pleading sound and ignore it ? I believe this young dog may have separation anxiety (sure makes sense), he or she doesn't want to be outside alone. Why do people like this have dogs ?? I don't know what to do ... it's making me crazy.

bark, bark, bark ... please let me in ... I am your friend ...bark, bark, bark... someone please ?  is anyone there ?
bark, bark, bark ... please let me in ... I am your friend ...bark, bark, bark... someone please ?  is anyone there ?
bark, bark, bark ... please let me in ... I am your friend ...bark, bark, bark... someone please ?  is anyone there ?
bark, bark, bark ... please let me in ... I am your friend ...bark, bark, bark... someone please ?  is anyone there ?
bark, bark, bark ... please let me in ... I am your friend ...bark, bark, bark... someone please ?  is anyone there ?
bark, bark, bark ... please let me in ... I am your friend ...bark, bark, bark... someone please ?  is anyone there ?
bark, bark, bark ... please let me in ... I am your friend ...bark, bark, bark... someone please ?  is anyone there ?

all day / all night / every day / every night / no matter how awful the weather - it's very sad

I kiss Sam & Winnie and I say a little prayer for all these miserable, unlucky dogs.

Here at 29 Black Street we have a 1 bark signal system. One bark means I need to go out or Hey ! you guys let me in please.

8:30 pm update - I'm just back from walking over to visit with the new people again the poor dog has barked intensely all day long & appears to be completely ignored - the good news is the dog was let inside because of my visit and over 1 hour later still no barking. Fingers crossed & a thank you God ! the bad news is yikes ! - I came home in tears after a lengthy pitiful attempt at quiet, civil conversation I realize it's far worse than I initially thought. Plan B, C & D are on deck for the morning. Calls into the landlord again, SPCA, RCMP & another visit by me if need be. At this point I think I will try to get them to give us the dog so that the dog can go to our shelter and find a fantastic forever home. Such SadNess -  the realization that the world is filled with people just like that.

11 comments:

  1. a barking dog is someone who is telling you something!

    thanks Susan for be such wonderful dog lover and friend...

    kisses to Sam & Winnie from Lucio, Camila and me...

    xo

    ps. love your repeat pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, Susan... I'm all choked up. Used to be such a fellow right behind my property. They finally got him a chain link kennel so he wasn't tied any more. Then their house burned down and he was the only pet to survive. He doesn't seem to be there any more, I believe they took him with them when they relocated.
    I do know of two people who have done midnight rescue raids on such animals and relocated them to better homes.
    xoxoxo from Gracie and me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you RosaMaria & much love from my gang to your gang ! such a gorgeous photo (avatar) of you & your beautiful chocolate boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathie & Gracie ... I know it's a very terrible story. It is amazing the people all around me who see nothing wrong or amiss with this situation, it makes me want to live on my own planet - where I will be Queen & all animals will be loved & respected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heartbreaking. Is there an animal shelter/animal cruelty line/ humane society/ police that you can try??? Maybe it is a sign for another creature to move into your home and life? Just saying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a section of the police department that you could call. They will go and talk to these people. We have to watch out for these poor creatures and be their voice when no one is listening to theirs. Thank you for caring so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Anonymous - I have been thinking of all those options - at the moment I'm hoping that peer pressure may work. I have considered the police because there is a barking bi-law. It's a tricky situation, especially in the rural world where people are still under the impression that dogs should "be" & live outside. They are convinced that letting them bark will somehow "teach them" to enjoy it.

    All I can say for now is I am on it - I have my Marshall's badge on - errrgggghhhhh. I should call the SPCA hotline & see what they advise.

    THANK YOU ! for caring so much. xos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, What a shame some people do not love their dogs the way they were meant to be loved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for this post...from one dog lover to another. on an unrelated note, my parents have a summer cottage in black point,ns. i was there over labor day weekend and stopped in dots & loops in lunenburg and was so happy to see some of your artwork there...i'm a long time fan of your blog and your work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a day late seeing this and in a way I am kinda glad...because you KNOW I am right now some kinda pissed off about this entire situation and want to go over there and go postal on those idiots who do not deserve the devotion of their dog! As a long time rescuer there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for this kind of cruelty! Thank you for trying Susan...I hope they will relinquish the dog to you...but my experience has been that this sort would rather keep the dog miserable and lonely to prove their point. They do not give a tinker's damn about that dog!!! Please keep us posted! I will try to talk myself down from here! And I will pray for the dog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here in HRM (Halifax area) Susan, there is 20 minute barking rule, so we could call the noise people on them ... it's interesting that the state of Texas either has or is considering a "no tie out" rule for dogs. Texas !? Wow.

    How about "freeing" the dog and taking it to the animal shelter. It will cost them $$$ to bail it out and if they don't then you can go claim it.

    'course you can't rescue EVERY animal -- and I know you'd like to.

    Consider yourself hugged.

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.