safety & comfort

Tuesday, January 19, 2010



the harbour around 5pm one evening in late December - from les archives

MLou
and I were chatting on the phone yesterday - one of our (bi-weekly) big chats and she referred to the George Elliot quote I posted here a few days ago - a quote about the feeling of safety and comfort you experience when you're being yourself (your authentic self as they would say today) and by allowing others to be who they are - we're helping them to feel safety and comfort and isn't that ultimately what we'd all wish to give to each other. Safety & comfort. Those darn life lessons they're swarmin' around us all the time ... but we can only catch them if we're paying attention.

Thought this quote bears repeating

Oh, the comfort,
the inexpressible comfort of
feeling safe with a person,


having neither to weigh thoughts
nor measure words,

but pouring them all out,
just as they are, chaff and grain together,

certain that a faithful hand
will take and sift them,

keep what is worth keeping,

and with a breath of kindness
blow the rest away.


George Elliot


Recent dinners & movies

The Big Lebowski - vermicelli & spring rolls with sausage & shrimp
Fargo - pulled BBQ pork on baguettes with coleslaw
Pulp Fiction- taco salad made with the cowboy's homemade chili

and ...it's warm enough (and still enough - no wind) to walk the sisters in the early morning without my fleece headgear (very happy sigh). I overheard a woman in the post office yesterday ask I wonder when winter's going to begin ? Hello !!

7 comments:

  1. Interesting choice of dinner to go with Fargo and it's wood chipper scene. Although Fried Green Tomatoes would be an excellent film choice for a pulled pork dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Fried Green Tomatoes right along with Steel Magnolias.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quote. The images are just stunning. Hope your year is starting off beautifully dear Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh! the big lebowski is a favorite of mine. my brother? he's the Dude. seriously.

    your photos are beautiful as always: brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely...freedom, comfort from the storm...and being authentic with safety.

    who can really ask for more.

    much love

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Goerge Elliot poem just gets me every damn time. Thanks for the repeat. I quoted it widely on teh interwebs the first time you posted it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susan, I haven't been here for quite a while, got lost along the way but I have found myself again with the help of my friends and chickory.
    I haven't commented here for such a long time but I just love your photos, your beautiful pets, the quotes and your philosophy for life.
    It seems since I was here last that you have found love, I am very happy for you.. having someone to love and be loved makes such a difference to our lives.
    I hope you don't mind me comimg here and just looking at your beautiful photos, I especially love the flowers and some of the coastal grasses you post here, it is a very beautiful blog.
    Dianne xo ♥

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.