aftermath

Monday, September 8, 2008


Sunday morning, grey and raining

Well Hannah kind of blew by us with not much fuss at all. I waited all day for the high winds to begin ... and they never came. We did have, earlier in the day, throughout most of the morning, torrential rain. Rain that fell in steady sheets of grey wetness, straight down and onto already well saturated ground. We have had record breaking rainfall this August. Yesterday late afternoon as Miss Winnie Dixon and I drove to the beach to meet up with Carol and Baby Duke for an afternoon twirl and romp session there were huge puddles everywhere but the roads were already beginning to dry and the sky had turned blue again in places. Some reports of minor flooding, and a few washed out areas in these parts but as storms go this one was pretty gentle - to us.

My Lulu, my squawkamolé cat has begun her final decline at a fairly rapid rate. She hardly ever yells at me anymore and there are no more death defying leaps from table to table. She is bone thin, and doesn't eat much or hold much food down when she does manage to eat something. She doesn't seem to want to go outside into her kingdom these last few days and the time, that time, is now racing towards us. That's how it goes it seems, once it begins ... it comes at you fast and furious. I need to do the right thing, the kind thing ... once again. She's almost 18 and she enjoyed another summer here at 29 Black Street ... two things that give me great comfort.


Miss D amidst the seaweed

13 comments:

  1. Oh Susan...how sad. Wishing you peace and strength as you go through this again. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear you and your crew didn't blow away to Oz! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about Lulu...thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear about Lulu, too. Our animals bring so much into our lives, and it's so sad to see them when they decline. It's too bad they can't stay young forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, it's so sad about Lulu, and tough that you have to do that thing once again. I had to make that choice about my old 22 year old cat, BJ, about four years ago. It's just never easy, but it is ultimately the kindest act we can choose to perform for our beloveds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, I'm very sorry to hear about Lulu and that you have to face such a trying time again. Hold tight to your love for Lulu (and Jake)...you WILL make it through this...and something beautiful will become of all of this.
    Much love,
    **hugs**

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, dear Lulu. Susan, I'm sorry. Sometimes it all comes at you at once. I have found there is some real comfort in knowing she has had a most happy, safe life with you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers throughout this time.

    And, Edward and Apple are so amazed that Winnie gets to play on the beach every, single day! They send her kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about your noisy Queen Lulubelle. Certainly the neighborhood won't be the same without her giving every stray intruder what-for. It's a good thing that she's had such a long and happy life with you. Sending you much love and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet Lulu. I know this awful feeling all too well. i watched our Hanah decline so rapidly and yet, we all (Including the vet( feot she had many more months to go. I had to make a quick trip to my Mom's in TN (We were stationed in IL at the time) and, although she was always my travel compamion, I left her behind with Bill and Dan. 2 days later, she was in so much pain the decision to let her go was made quickly and I was not with her. It still haunts me to this day, 7 years later.
    The one sweet blessing from it all...I could not face a home with no fur love so went to the shelter in Mom's city. This is where I found our dog Kipper.

    I wil be thinkig about you, and of sweet Lulu. I wish you strength and peace of heart as you enter this phase.
    So happy to hear you are well after Hanna's wrath.

    Love,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Susan.
    Dear old Lulu, what an amazing cat.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Susan, I am so very sorry. I have loved getting to know Lulu from your wonderful postings on your blog. She has been very blessed to share her life with all of you. I will keep you all in my prayers in the hours and days to come. God bless you.

    Vickie

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.