tomato heaven

Monday, September 22, 2008


fresh country bread and garden tomatoes

So many tomatoes. Plump, sweet and juicy redness. Perfection. And a perfect tomato needs the perfect bread. For a sliced tomato sandwich with a smear of really good mayonnaise, salt and pepper or a slice of this bread with Gruyere cheese popped under the broiler until bubbly and hot and topped with thick slices of tomato. And bruschetta, toasted bread brushed with olive oil and rubbed with a freshly peeled garlic glove then topped with slices of tomato, salt, pepper, finely chopped chives and a drizzle more of olive oil. It's tomato heaven.

Here's a recipe for the most perfect tomato season bread, a favourite of mine and very easy to make Tuscan Peasant Bread (I add a teaspoon of honey to the yeast mixture and I use 1 teaspoon of salt).

Back to the nest of cotton and flannel this early morning, to curl up with Miss D. and my second cup of coffee. Goodbye Summer, hello Autumn.

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE tomatos! :) Thank you for sharing the recipe. I wish you the most beautiful, Autumn filled, week.

    Much love!! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't seem to get the recipe to show up...but will try again later .....looks yummy and I am ready to try something other than my regular bread.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay...my mouth is watering! There is just nothing like fresh grown tomatoes. I used to have a large vegetable garden. I especially miss those glorious tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Autumn to you, Susan!
    And,thanks for the bread recipe...Baking bread in the fall is one of life's real pleasures!

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.