subtle maniac

Friday, May 18, 2012










































 No.1 You Rock My World - 8x10 mixed media collage (vintage papers, ink & gouache) - Susan Black 
 
Remember the collage above ? Can't remember if I posted it here at 29 Black Street or only over here at my portfolio blog. The idea to make a You Rock My World  piece came from an Etsy customer who had purchased one of my Love Makes the World Go Round prints & was hoping to have another globe icon print to go with it.

I made the collage above but was never really thrilled about it, a common occurrence with me this lack of thrilldom with practically everything I do, which thankfully is a feeling I'm gradually getting used & I think (& hope) it might be an indication that the process of making things (trying things, tackling an idea regardless of whether or not it turns out) is becoming what gives me the biggest kick. So in my dissatisfaction with the first version I made a few thumbnails in my morning journal & in my subtle finicky, lets try this & then lets try that maniac ways - I did a few more versions - ya feel like voting ? My feelings won't be hurt. Sometimes you need to try the new idea to end up knowing that the first idea was the strongest. I'm not sure in this case. I've let the customer pick her favourite & I'll chalk this 2 day project up to practice, process & a potential portfolio piece - Hey M. Universe ! I would love to illustrate a children's book and/or do a series of inspirational art posters for kids.










































Thanks for voting ! In the end these are my favourites & I think I like the original best also but sometimes ya just have to get the other ideas out of your head & onto paper - you just never know ?!? You Rock My World - 8x10 mixed media collage (vintage papers, ink & gouache) - Susan Black 

15 comments:

  1. the last one

    is that Oliver in the rocketship? Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much for voting you guys !
    Shammy Happy Victoria's Birthday Holiday weekend (& you too BH) & it isn't Oliver. A little black cat has been cropping up in many of my collages - I think it must be Bleet or Oliver in disguise xo Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the first of the series of three (or 3rd up from the bottom). The last two (Number 2 and 3??) are busy with the banner and words on top of the world - I prefer minimal. Or if you pick 2 or 3, the u in uh huh looks like a v - my eye focuses on that too much.
    The concept rocks, the deep space dark is very cool, I linger looking at the world because of the dark space and I take the time to think 'you . rock . my . world ' when it is open and airy.
    Best, Kitty USA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kitty thanks - I just realized I was missing 1 version - that's what I mean subtle changes, subtle maniac - happy weekend !! xo Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am I allowed to vote for the first one? The one that no longer rocks your world!! But otherwise it'll be No's 2 or 4, sorry can't pick up the subtle differences when I can't see them side by side! I find the "uh huh" distracting when across the globe, you could put it back in one of the letters like you did right a the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I think they are all great, and yes, of course I remember this orig piece! I like them all but am particularly drawn to no.3.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and, yes, I can TOTALLY see you do a children's book and whatnot. I'd buy it for the art and graphics alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for adding the "missing" one...thought I was going crazy this AM! We like the one without banner. Children's book ---- DO IT!
    tail wags...~moose

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey thanks guys & thanks Moose for the help with Bridge + Photoshop. Will email you later xo woof S + Gang

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the ones without the banner in the middle of the globe and agree with Sally that the banner is a bit distracting. That being said, it is all wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first one. Not so busy for us folk who can't take in more than one message at a time..... Love the black background on them all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love no. 2! Like having the banner split up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having trouble deciding ...

    Kinda like #2 as it says "You rock" and then after the image "my world". So it says two things ...

    But I always love ALL your stuff.

    Would love to see you illustrate a children's book.

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.