friend me

Tuesday, November 27, 2012






































Let's Go Any Where !8x10 or 5x7 giclee handcrafted type collage (vintage paper, ink & gouache) Susan Black

I'm currently spending my evenings, anytime past 8pm, a silent & unseen observer on the fictional island of Waskeke off the coast of New England at the Cape Cod-ish, cedar shaked summer home of a family getting ready to host wedding. The book I'm reading is Seating Arrangements by Maggie Shipstead - my one word review - Delicious ! Last week I not only traveled to North Dakota but time travelled as well back to 1984 and experienced what life would be like at that time on an Ojibwe Native American Indian Reservation - the book The Round House by Louise Erdrich. 

Thursday is book delivery day at the library here in our little village. I work the online library system like there's no tomorrow. Any book I hear about (on CBC radio or read about, or hear someone mention - I put a hold on it). Lately vegetarian cookbooks - put a hold on it. Nurse Jackie Seasons 2 & 3 - put a hold on it, tales of shipwrecked sailors - put a hold on it. You get my drift. I'm allowed 50 holds and once I did reach that number and had to stop with my holds for a few days. I can order a book from anywhere in Nova Scotia, I can order movies, documentaries, audio books, magazines and books from any library in Cumberland County... and I do. Oh my I sure do. So Thursday's are big days for me as I'm so keen in the "putting holds" on books dept ... that rare is the Thursday that there isn't a giant pile of library goodness waiting for me. I can check my account, and my holds online, I'm able to see what number I am on any particular item's hold's list - it's all very exciting. I'm nearly finished Seating Arrangements and I'm not at all sure where I'll be travelling to later this week but I can't wait to find out, somewhere interesting & exciting I'm sure.

So I bullied Sara into joining GoodReads (my version of facebook) in the comments section here yesterday. I browbeat John ages ago, Andee's there & Amanda too. Any other takers*. Wanna Friend me on Good Reads ? It's such a fantastic site- haven't you always wanted a place where you could keep track not only of all the books you've read but also keep a running list of books you want to read. Sometimes it happens that a book I'm interested in is not in the Nova Scotia library system, now I don't worry about losing track that title because I remember it in my "to read" section of GoodReads.

My enthusiasm, I admit, may be a tad geekish ... but won't you join goodreads.com & if you do don't forget to friend me.

* I'm especially talking to avid readers Pamela Terry & Edward ! 

4 comments:

  1. I really take advantage of my public library also, putting holds on stuff. Thanks for talking about this today, it reminded me that I needed to check my holds and my due dates. ooops.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allyson - I'm always amazed that so many people don't actually use the library and that they don't realize that they have huge selections of DVD's (movies, health & fitness, TV series) + magazines. I'm a library junkie there's no question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read junk and watch trash TV. Are you sure you want me as a commentor on your blog ? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Susan, SO happy to hear you rave about your library! I worked at a library for 3 summers and LOVE libraries so much. I always feel like a bit of a dork when I get going, because I can quite literally talk forever about why libraries (and books in general!) are fantastic! I think a lot of people don't realize how fantastic they are, and current! Especially being able to order books, videos, etc. from other libraries! (I often think I'd like to work in a library instead of teach...)

    I love Goodreads for keeping track of books I've read and would like to read. I worry, though, that I'm not taking full advantage of it. I don't write reviews of books, and I don't think I pay too much attention to what others are reading but I probably should. Who knows what great adventures I'd discover!

    I'm currently reading The Time Traveler's Wife and LOVING it!

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.