chili, chowder & croissants

Friday, December 5, 2014








garlic & leeks from the Lunenburg Farmers Market / I made Prince Edward Island dinner rolls / chopping, chopping / I use chicken broth or vegetable broth instead of water / the most delicious potato leek soup / a mug of soup in the kitchen window & another mug at my desk avec collage-a-thon + photos at bottom - blogging friends who live nearby (ish) Sara Hartley & Sybil Nunn came for lunch this past Tuesday, my first company in my new home / Sybil's very sweet & super smart dog Wendy - I've got a big crush on Miss Wendy xoxo

Since moving to Lunenburg, NS 3 weeks ago tomorrow and living the mostly single gal life (Doug & Samuel visit every week) I've been obsessed with cooking things I can eat with a spoon. Chilis, chowders & soups. I hosted my first little lunch party this week with Sara & Sybil both friends I've gotten to know through blogging. I was originally thinking I'd make a haddock & scallop chowder with homemade rolls but I made instead my version of Jamie Oliver's Potato Leek soup. This soup is so delicious I made another big pot of it again yesterday - yum.

Oh & croissants, uh huh !!, every Thursday at the Farmers Marke there are TWO french bakeries - sigh.

My adaptations below

I blended half of the soup and then added it back to the pot, making it a bit creamier • I also added 1 cup of coffee cream making it more like a vegetable chowder • the next day I sautéd in olive oil (or butter) 1 small zucchini, 1 red pepper & I large broccoli spear all chopped into bite size pieces then added this mixture soup prior to reheating - you can add as many vegetables as you like. I'm thinking roasted butternut/buttercup squash cubes would be delicious ;-)



7 comments:

  1. Sweet photo of the ladies who lunch(ed)! The soup sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a wonderful visit Susan. That soup was AMAZING. In fact the entire meal was AMAZING. My only complaint would be about the frikkin' c-cold weather. Love the pic of us. Wendy loves ya back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that a look of happy contentment on your face? Whatever it is, it looks good on ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soup (and buns and dessert!) were VERY good! And, of course, the company was wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos! Soup and freshly baked rolls, the best comfort food for a cold day. Your soup looks delicious dear Susan and croissants for dessert, sounds good to me. I am so happy that you had two friends join you for lunch and Miss Wendy is such a sweet looking girl.
    Love to all, Dianne
    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making me hungry. Yum! And a great cook too. I suspect your home always smells sooo good.

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.