is easily distracted

Wednesday, December 31, 2014











recent photos from my adventurers & explorations - shrine of truth & beauty found on the Back Harbour Walking Trail 

For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.
And to make an end is to make a beginning.

T. S. Eliot

If I let myself I could/would get completely carried away with resolutions for this sparkling brand new year awaiting on our doorstep. Plans, dreams, goals, to-dos, want-to-dos, should dos ... could-I-dos ?!? I've done it many years in the past and I'm learning that too rigid a plan is often foiled by the unexpected and the unexpected sometimes is good, even better than the original plan. Like that email that arrives one instant in your in-box "Hi Susan, wondering if you'd be interested in creating a commissioned art piece for Starbucks ?" - uh Y-E-S !!! -  a super big highlight of my 2014 and an opportunity that came completely out of the blue.

So this year I've chosen one word to be my guide and a handful of supporting words (at last count I had 10 I'd like to ideally edit that down to a half dozen). I will choose a word, a theme for each month - January's word is promote - the secret of the self employed creative person - pitch, promote & pester ;-) 

I have a dreamy loose-ish, long list of want-to-accomplish-this-year items, most all of them have to do with continuing the building of my Creative Empire, with securing my future & fulfilling my daily passion(s). I want to do more, learn more, be more, be less, step out, step in, nest & settle in my new home of Lunenburg. I'm anxious about tomorrow, I'm thrilled about tomorrow. I feel like a runner poised on tippy toes at the blocks waiting for the Jan o1 2015 starting gun to go off. 

The one thing that is top of mind, the one quirk in my character, the one flaw or weakness in my role as my own employee, the thing that if I were my own boss (Hey Wait ! I am my own Boss), the thing that would be mentioned to me at every performance review is - Susan is easily distracted. That damn www. again, knocking on my brain, urging me to check my Instagram, google something, order that book from the library you just heard about, wonder something - wait why wonder ! Google again, what about Pinterest ... oh my it's been at least 10 hours since you opened up Pinterest ! if we were to look at my browser's history on any given day  - trust me, We would be appalled. 

Instead of falling into the mish of la la land by opening my browser (a billions x a day) I've decided to keep a small note pad beside me as I work away at my computer. I will instead jot  down that request to my brain for a future pre-planned www. playtime at the end of my work day - I know some of you who know me well just snorted with laughter and fell off your chair thinking to yourselves Yeah ! Right I wonder how long that will last ?

I'm going to try & if I don't succeed at first ... 

When you want something you've never had,
you have to try something you've never done. 

a big bonjour 2015 !!


6 comments:

  1. Made me chuckle/snort out loud! A best friend and I tease ourselves about the allure of the "shiny object" and its ability to take us instantly off course! I am going to designate one of my dear little notebooks to listing things to explore and designating a specific time to do so.... Let's compare notes on that one in a month or so!

    I like the corollary to "if you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got"... Yours is more positive! Here's to 2015!

    Happy New year to you and yours from me and mine
    Kathie, Gracie and Mr Kitty Boy (aka Marco Polo)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, dear susan, how you entertain me! i too am addicted to the allure of instant knowledge and gratification as found on the internet. my mind literally never shuts down. i have a hundred ideas and projects and yearnings sloshing around in there all day and sometimes even at night. it is one of the main reasons that i'm single. i simply can't handle another distraction. lol i know that i drive my boss and co-workers nuts sometimes. they get that look of terror on their faces when i bop into their office with the statement "last night i was thinking . . . ". hee hee it may be annoying to some but it is one of my favorite things about me. life i short and i plan to live every minute of it to the fullest. happy new year to you and les gang from me and zoe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an exciting and inspiring post. Still don't have MY word. Am still into resolutions as they have been successful for the last three years ...

    Happy New Year kiddo !

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY 2015! As Edward Abbey said: May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. Looks like you are celebrating life in Lunenburg to the fullest! Tail wags + woof ~moose

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful quote from T.S. Eliot and good luck in promoting your creative empire this year, it is no easy task when one is self-employed, a lot of pressure but you can do it dear Susan.
    I would never snort or laugh, I am always looking up something or other on the Net, I love finding new places, words, images etc. in fact I am easily distracted myself from what I am supposed to be doing. I have at least three projects I am working on at present.
    I wish you, Doug and Les Gang a wonderful, happy and fulfilling 2015 and look forward to many more of your inspiring words and beautiful images.
    Much love Dianne xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete
  6. "a future pre-planned www. playtime at the end of my work day"
    -Ok, so you're one day in and how is that going? It's a fabulous idea, if you can really do it. Love it. Love your photos too btw, per usual.

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.