fish cakes

Sunday, February 10, 2008



Maritime Fish Cakes


1 tin of chicken haddie (or two cups flaked rinsed and soaked salt cod
and two medium fillets of smoked fish flaked - I used mackeral, a local delicacy)
4 cups mashed potatoes (8-10 medium size potatoes)
1 large onion
1 egg beaten
1 Tbsp. of butter
summer savoury
salt & pepper
3-4 finely chopped green onions
cornmeal for dusting

optional seasonings - Old Bay seafood seasoning, chopped fresh parsley, dill, chives

Sauté onions gently in butter until soft and translucent. Mix all ingredients together except cornmeal. Shape into patties, dredge in cornmeal and chill in the refrigerator for an hour or so (to firm up the cakes). Fry fishcakes in a large frying pan with a bit of vegetable oil and a small amount of butter until browned and crispy on both sides. Serve with fried eggs, home fried potatoes and a jar of Chow Chow relish. Reheat fish cakes in a 350 degree oven on a wire rack until hot and cornmeal coating is crispy

I do love to cook, I'd rather cook than do any other household activity. I do enjoy washing dishes, I like having my hands in warm sudsy water and I do enjoy doing laundry (especially hanging clothes or bedding out on the line to air dry - they smell so fantastic). Cooking has always been quite therapeutic for me, and I come from a long line of good cooks. Lately it's become yet one more thing that's just not the same without my boy, Jake.

He was always in the kitchen with me, he'd follow me the short distance from the sink and counter to the stove and back again, over and over. I never cooked or prepared any food without his sweet face watching every move that I'd make, he was always there just in case I might need his help. He loved food. He loved fresh peaches, fresh pineapple, clementines, broccoli and cauliflower. Didn't care for bananas, apples or carrots. He could lick a bowl or a pot clean in an instant - I used to tease him and call him my pre-rinse cycle. My kitchen has become a very lonely place without him.

I feel that if I don't mention Jake, each and every day here on my blog, that somehow it means that I'm forgetting about him everything reminds me of my dog. I miss him so much.

Our (Winnie and my) latest driving in the car, to the beach or to the golf course, song and this one makes us cry ... every time ... Alicia Keys - No One


a favourite breakfast of sunny side up eggs and fish cakes

1 comment:

  1. Mmm...love fish cakes. I developed a taste for them (and for lots of other seafood too) while living in Nova Scotia in 2006. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.