botanist

Friday, September 4, 2009




wildflower seeds along the harbour's edge

like the seeds dreaming beneath the snow
your heart dreams of spring

Kahlil Gibran

or in my case ... my heart, just dreams ... always

I've been totally fascinated with seeds lately. Not only the astounding and amazing variety, shape and size that they come in but also of the ingenious ways seeds have of traveling. Some so light and airy that they'll drift away on the gentlest breeze and others that have adapted with burrs or thorns so they're most likely to catch a ride on some unsuspecting passing animal only to be dropped (happily I imagine) in some far away new location. It's also amazing the variety of pods and case and enclosures that keep the seeds of different plants sealed up and safe perfectly until just the right time - the time it's right for them to embark on their new big adventure. Starting again - becoming something new perhaps in a brand new place. Somewhat cliché metaphors abound in life it seems and signs and messages seem to appear everywhere I look..

I feel like I want to document seeds. Maybe for awhile this autumn we'll become part-time botanists while we're out on our travels, Miss D and I, camera in tow we'll specialize in documenting the world of seeds ... and all the while I'll keep on tending my own personal seeds ... my future big hopes and dreams.

9 comments:

  1. I think seeds are a wonderful metaphor. And ain't nature grand? It's so nice to spend time looking at the little things we stampede by each day: seeds, wildflowers, insects, birds. I am expecting some art pieces with seeds in them! ;) Have a great weekend! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should send you some mamey seeds. Fascinating color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The botany link was fascinating Susan, particularly the video clip Botany Without Borders - I've never seen seeds "flying like helicopters" as featured in the clip. Don't think we have them in Australia. Our coastal sands differ also... very white. I am always intruiged by the sand tones you capture where you live, not unlike the colour of those seed pods it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea!
    I can't wait to see all the cool seeds you have up there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's that wonderful seedy time of year. I've been watching the magnolia seed pods on our tree near the patio. I love the vibrant red they turn in the fall. New beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love these. i thought i was vanilla for a sec. im growing some purple hyacynth beans cause i love the seed pods. you should see how peanuts work. the plant puts its own seed into the ground. very interesting how it works. beautiful pictures (as ususal)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should enter the video contest on the Botanist site!!!
    Tail Wags to All.
    ~Moose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look like cigars. Such great autumnal colours.

    I'm tickled to see that we are reading the same book. Like you, I balked quite a bit at the part about Gyp and quite frankly, skipped over that. But since then, it has been delightfully spooky and definitely worth the read. And yes, it is a dreadful mistake by fate that you and I are not neighbors!!

    Love to you all, from all us!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. mom said she likes Kahlil Gibran, whatever that is!
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.