thunder

Tuesday, July 28, 2009



a thunder storm moving over the straight and into our little harbour

Last evening.

It's been really hot and humid in this little village. Summer's in full swing. I love thunder and lightening, I am amazed always and in awe. I love the darkening skies and the towering, billowy clouds and the contrast between them. I love that these storms most often come at us across open water - an extended show with a crystal clear vantage point sitting on a bench in the park, overlooking the open harbour, just steps from our front door. Miss Winnie Dixon is not crazy about thunder but it seems as long as she's sitting close enough to touch, sitting by her Mama, she tolerates it. She and I sat on a bench in the park last night watching these clouds come rumbling in, gradually smothering the sun and the shimmering waters. As thunder storms go this one was weak, still far off in the distance. The thunder never amounting to more than a rumble, we didn't see any lightening and the blue skies and shimmering waters were back soon enough. Missy D winked at me.



10 comments:

  1. Thunderstorms, especially with lightning, are so exciting! Lovely pictures, as always, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those photos are beautiful! I like the drama of watching a storm come in, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh very cool.
    The Winnster is much more composed than my two "brave" hounds. At the first rumble they're running for cover and by cover I mean my armpit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good thunderstorm, too. Especially the big KA-BOOMs. :) And our old dog (Frisket, who must be a distant relative of Winnie D), is absolutely petrified of them. We have to find her, and bring her in so she literally doesn't run into the woods to hide (which she has done). Lovely pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always long for a storm whenever we go to the beach. It's so fabulous to watch out over the water. We were lucky enough to be there one year when a hurrican was skirting the coast...way out to sea. It was like a movie...for hours and hours the night sky was orange with lightning all along the horizon. Magic.

    Love to you and Winnie!! And the cats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so with you on thunder. Your pics are again amazing. how incredilbe to enjoy such a view with your morning walks. I sooo need a camera!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You live in such a beautiful place. (No rain...no cold...at the moment...) Yee Haw!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too have always loved storms. Even as a kid I loved thunder. But yeah, the pets not so much!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, me, too, and what a spectacular view you have!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love to sit at the deck just before a storm, watching the curtain of rain passing through. I also envy storm photographers - it's not easy capturing a piece of thunder! I've tried and failed many times... but at least the clouds look pretty? XD

    Summer storms are always the best. Fantastic pictures!!

    http://lookatmybackpages.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.