all of this

Thursday, November 12, 2009



the small marsh above the crescent beach and looking out into the straight

The cowboy and I began having our evening meals together this past Sunday, on the 10th day of our big acquaintance. Since I have been madly teak toppin' it and working toward a fast approaching deadline (met finally yesterday). He has been preparing our evening meals, cooking at his own house and arriving each evening with some new move able feast - all carefully packed into his wooden wine crate.

Sunday - he prepared a pot roast with new potatoes and new carrots, onions & garlic accompanied by perfectly steamed broccoli. It was delicious.

Monday - he arrived with his grandmother's (she was from Kentucky) fried chicken (technically not fried or at least not deep fried) pan fried in butter, after being generously dusted with seasoned flour, until the skin is crisp and golden and then finished in a hot oven. He served the chicken with new potatoes, pan gravy and buttered peas (and ya know how I love peas). A similar recipe here. Again delicious.

Tuesday - this night roasted lamp chops on a bed of brown rice, with onions, garlic, celery and tomatoes served with perfectly steamed broccoli (turns out we're both crazy about broccoli).

Each of the above three meals was followed by dessert of chunks of extra dark imported chocolate and clementines.

Wednesday - finally my big deadline had been met so I cooked. He brought the broccoli ready to perfectly steam and I made Coquille St. Jacques- using this recipe. It was delicious and perfect. Individual casseroles of cream and cheese, buttered bread crumbs and fat juicy Digby scallops served beside bright green still crunchy broccoli stalks, perfect to scoop up any and all remaining cheesy goodness. For dessert I made my famous, and to die for, tres easy lemon pudding cake souffle like - light, tart and sweet all at the same time. Served of course with a good dollop of real whipped cream.

He loved it all. He's cooking again tonight as I'm moving on to the next project on the TTD queu. I can't tell you how much I am enjoying this new mealtime routine.... and all of this goodness.

17 comments:

  1. My goodness...can you send some of that down south here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. holy hannah girl you got yourself a cowboy. im smiling my ass off over here. hes awesome. and i love how he is cooking the fried chicken. i know that process -super succulent.

    er, im still smiling. hey you know what? the pictures of ya'lls dogs together running in the field melted my heart. its a great mix of pack there. im really happy for you. are you still moving? Howwwwwwwwl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan! HE COOKS!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, lock him in your house. Do not let him out! hahahaha! I am so happy for you. The Cowboy rocks the house. My pack is howling with delight. xoxox Pam

    PS Can I come over for dinner? hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy, yummy for all.
    Tail Wags Too.
    ~Moose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now here's the real question. Does he clean up the kitchen once he's done cooking?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where did you find this man?! He's handsome AND cooks? You are one lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This man was obviously a diamond among the rocks!!!!! And does he also share your love of Canadian radio? I can't remember the names of those programs you are so fond of but I am thinking that would make for some very interesting dinner conversations! Bon Appetit!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm trying to imagine her explaining all of us to him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey B. Shamu - he "is not" reading my blog but he does know that he has been featured (prominently) and that I have this whole gang of loving girlfriends many of them daily visitors who are cheering us on - how sweet is that ?

    He says he prefers to get to know me the old fashioned way. And yes he cleans, he cooks, he spoils and he fusses over me (just the right amount - after all I am a pretty self reliant gal). Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Then don't ever reveal HIS location because I know a lot of women who will start lurking in the tall grass to nab him and spirit him off to far away lands.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know ... I know. I am tres bruised from pinching myself. Derma Tera the Patron Saint of Earwigs has finally rewarded me the BIG prize.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a blessing to find such a good man. He cooks, and cleans. So romantic. I think a book with illustrations about you, the cowboy,and your combined pets would be fun. Kind of a Brady Bunch thing. giggles.... Happy for you. Thanks for sharing your new adventure.
    xxoo to you all

    ReplyDelete
  13. A BOOK WOULD BE WONDERFUL...WE ARE ALL JUST ENTHRALLED WITH THE MAGIC OF IT ALL...WALKING IN THE GOLDEN HAYFIELD WITH THE SWEET MAN AND THE DOGS AND ENJOYING ALL THAT FOOD!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I DIDN'T MEAN TO BE ANONYMOUS I AM DIANE S.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG I adore him. Can I adore him? Please? I adore him!! OMG!!! I seriously have chills. Every day I can't wait to read what amazingly wonderful things your cowboy has done to make me (I mean you) melt. Blessings and bliss to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So dear Susan - we've reached Friday at last, and I've just had fun reading back through your lovely week.This is all wonderful! Wishing a delightful weekend ahead for you all.x

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.