mixed tape

Sunday, November 15, 2009












scenes from yesterday's first road trip

I said I wanna touch the earth
I wanna break it in my hands
I wanna grow something wild and unruly

I wanna sleep on the hard ground
In the comfort of your arms
On a pillow of bluebonnets
In a blanket made of stars

I wanna walk and not run
I wanna skip and not fall
I wanna look at the horizon
And not see a building standing tall

I wanna be the only one
For miles and miles
Except for maybe you
And your simple smile

Cowboy take me away
Fly this girl as high as you can
Into the wild blue
Set me free oh I pray
Closer to heaven above and
Closer to you closer to you

Dixie Chicks - Cowboy Take Me Away

The cowboy and the beautiful brown hound Bess leave tomorrow morning on a previously planned 4000 km, 3 week road trip back to where he came from. I've made him 2 music CD's - 33 songs to take with him. The proverbial mixed tape. Songs that I love, have loved and songs that suddenly seem meant for this - for us. A big beautiful soundtrack to this new life that has knocked me over. I can't even imagine him being gone, this wonderful man who's taken over my every thought and consideration. We'll talk on the phone at least once each day, we'll send emailed thoughts and promises and as soon as he & Bess arrive at their destination he will parcel up one of his books, a survey of Canadian history and mail it me express post and I will relish it. I will count the days until they return - as will Piper Belle and Miss D.

My Creative Empire is, has been, busting at the seams - Good Things continue to rush at me fast & furious. I am dizzy with Goodness. I will spend these cowboyless days here at the teak topped desk - building. I will spend time also freeing space and room in this old brick house for him and his things. Suddenly it's easy for me to let go of things that have tormented me for ever. I will miss him ... but Goodness ... I need to catch my breath.

ps to Chez Caesar the Steve Earle song Fearless Heart is a new favourite of mine and is track 7 on CD No. 1 - merci !!

11 comments:

  1. The old brick house... filling with love. I believe it was meant to be. (I love seeing the photos of the dogs romping and running and enjoying each others' company.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reeling with goodness just hearing about all this! Godspeed to your sweet cowboy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it all so amazing? You must be reeling with it all. I know we are! And see how your Followers have increased in number - everyone loves a fairy story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. have you ever heard steve earle and emmylou harris' song " i remember you?" its a heart breaker. check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That picture of the Cowboy and Bess is sooooo PERFECT!!! Look at her eyes!!! And his smile!!! And you, Girl! Remember that I married for the first time @ 46 yrs of age...my hubby, 12 yrs younger than me....love can come upon you and take you over when you LEAST expect it! We just celebrated 10 years on Oct. 15 and it has gone by in a FLASH!!! I wish you the GREATEST happiness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We sure wouldn't mind living there...purrty
    Happy Sunday
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG every day I come here to smile and cry with happiness. What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, I LOVE all the pictures and your post. I still want to see more pictures of your Cowboy!!!I have been married for almost 45 years, so you can do it, too! After all, both of you are feeling like teenagers! Should we all go together and meet somewhere inbetween us all? Then we could hug you both and celebrate. Forever and a day!! Our song is "The Twelfth of Never." In spite of "ups and downs," and nightmarish events, we have survived. So let the waves come, and the storms shake your boat, go out together and God will carry you through. I am so glad you have all the work to do while the cowboy is gone, or I don't know how you could stand it. THREE WEEKS!! God bless him and bring him safely home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great to have a soundtrack for your love, isn't it? My husband and I still remember the songs we were listening to on our trip to the mountains when he asked me to marry him. And then, there are our newlywed songs, our Scotland songs...well you get the idea. I wish you and the Cowboy volumes and volumes of sweet songs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is SUCH a dizzying romantic blog now. Who would have thunk it? The suspense is killing me.

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.