faith, grace, love ...

Saturday, November 30, 2013









from today's early morning snowy walk, blue & orange, & golden and my love, LOVE Miss Winnie - she loves this weather ;-)

It's incredibly touching when someone who seems so hopeless finds a few inches of light to stand in and makes everything work as well as possible. All of us lurch and fall, sit in the dirt, are helped to our feet, keep moving, feel like idiots, lose our balance, gain it, help others get back on their feet, and keep going.

Anne Lamott - from Grace Eventually: Thoughts on Faith


Honestly I mentioned fumbling the other day, have I mentioned also falling, slipping, bumbling, tripping, bumping into walls (almost as if I was blindfolded), getting back up dusting myself off and confidently (kind of) trudging off in a new direction only to trip, fall and smack into another wall - it's been that kind of year, especially the last few months. omg ! talk about your trial by fire ! 


I  also mentioned recently that I was kinda crushin' on Rob Bell, crushing on him I think because he makes Christianity almost make sense to me … and that felt miraculous & shocking and a kind of HUGE gigantic relief to me, especially at this point in my life, a blanket, a comfort. "you mean Christianity doesn't have to be or mean  that crazy, cruel Right Wing, Tea Party, Fox news,  judgemental, evil, homophobic, hypocritical thing that it's seemed to me to be. Hmmmmm. Wow!" well now  … that's is indeed an opening, that's a new door, another option, another hope, a comfort and let's face it - Rob Bell himself is slick , young at heart,  handsome & tres convincing plus everything he does (books, website, etc) is absolutely gorgeously designed (sadly & perhaps shallowly that counts for lots in my books). He's hip & he's happenin'.


But … I realize now, when I mentioned I was crushin on Rob Bell that that feeling of crushing on him doesn't hold a candle to how I feel about Anne Lamott (I know, I know late, late, late to the Anne L game) but Thanks Wow !! - I'm madly in love with her, her words, her voice & her perspective on life. I could listen/read her words & thoughts all day long, every day, over & over again. She soothes me like drugs do. Just introducing me to the idea that I could choose Faith (in whatever form Faith chooses me or I choose  it) instead of my usual attempted maniacal control. Bonjour Faith … I think I like you way better than attempted crazed control. Faith, grace, love … failure, Faith, grace, love … failure. I think I'm getting the hang of this.


Faith instead of fumbling, flailing, falling, bumbling. Thanks ! Wow ! Phew !


love to all ! & happy holiday weekend to my USA friends



I do not understand the mystery of grace -
only that it meets us where we are and does not leave us where it found us.


Anne Lamott


New to Anne Lamott  ? start here with this lovely, fantastic interview with writer Ann Patchett

4 comments:

  1. Fascinating Susan.

    I found this wonderful quote on the web: “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.”
    ― Anne Lamott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful images dear Susan and the snow returns again, the cycle of the seasons, this year has passed so quickly.
    You and Winnie are "faith, grace and love", beautiful words here.
    love and hugs
    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for these lovely photos today... Yes, faith, grace and love. I see a little dance in Miss Winn's step!

    ReplyDelete
  4. loving the sunshine on the bricks on 29! Woof to Dec 1st.

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.