a smidge of sweet

Wednesday, March 20, 2013






































today's early morning blizzard walk / new blue powder room / dried blossoms looking out to sea / explorer extraordinaire / shrimp dinner salad fixins / Virgil snuggled up in my studio-office chair / we  lichen / another view of new first floor 1/2 bath / oh my Missy D I love you / chili spiced shrimp salad

the secret, or at least my secret to delicious never fail vinaigrette is always a smidge of sweet

I hear so many people say they can't seem to make a vinaigrette dressing that they love - I bet they're not adding any sweet. Maple syrup, honey, brown sugar, orange juice, stevia, splenda .... here's my current favourite which I always mix up with a whisk in the bottom of our tres utilitarian dented & dinged stainless steel salad bowl.

Susan's fav vinaigrette
olive oil (or any oil you like)
apple cider vinegar (or any vinegar you like, or lemon juice)
one crushed clove of garlic
1-2 tsp maple syrup (to taste)
a good plop of best Dijon mustard
cracked pepper
salt

chili spiced shrimp
thaw & peel 10-12 large shrimp, pat dry & dust with a mixture of 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp smoked paprika and another smidge of sweet - 1/2 tsp brown sugar. Toss the shrimp 'til well coated and sear ina non stick pan with a lil' grapeseed or canola oil.

salad
1/2  thinly sliced small sweet onion (add the onion to the dressing in the bowl to marinate)
1/4 cup crumbled Feta cheese
12 or so Kalamata olives pitted & sliced
1 cup frozen peas thawed & drained well
8-10 spears of raw young asparagus sliced thin on the diagonal
1/2 a medium zucchini sliced
2-3 small Kirby or mini cucumbers sliced
1/2 a small red, yellow or orange pepper sliced
a big pile of the best baby green mix you can find (we love a spicy mix with lots of arugula) 

I chop the shrimp into bite size pieces toss everything well & enjoy !

* oops I forgot the nuts I sometimes add chopped unsalted cashews, toasted sliced almonds ... any nut you like ;-)


5 comments:

  1. You tell quite a story in 8 to 10 photos. Don't even have to type out what's going on in your corner of the world, we can see it for ourselves.

    I like your food sense almost as much as I like Bee's fashion sense. Those socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that sounds and looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaamazing powder room. Incroyable! or as they say in PEI...On-croyable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am printing this recipe! And now I am starving. :)
    Happy Spring! xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful images dear Susan and thank you for the recipe...your salad looks delish!
    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.