on the menu

Sunday, January 17, 2010



the No. 1 (with a bullet) favourite dinner here at 29 Black Street -

Some couples have a song to call their own, we have a Vietnamese noodle bowl. It's our dish.

Vermicelli & spring rolls* accompanied by the world's best very hot, hot sauce - the January issue of Bon Appétite magazine (a fill in subscription for the remainder of my now defunct Gourmet subscription - sad face) has an article on this cheap and most excellent condiment which is readily available in the Asian section of most grocery stores.

Now all of you know how much I love to cook and always have. But cooking for someone is even better and if that someone happens to be a someone who spends his days fussing & tinkering, toiling and sawing cast iron boilers into small pieces down in the basement of this old brick house. Making this home, our home hum and sing and purr like a well oiled and tres comfy machine ... well ... that kind of cooking is the ultimate in satisfaction. My desire to keep my Prince (oATG)** not only very well nourished but as happy as a clam has become a primary focus of each day. Hhhhmmmm What will we have for dinner ?

This morning I have a spiced rubbed roast of pork in a slow oven. This roast will cook all day long at 250 until it's fall apart tender then I'll pile it on our favourite baguette in a pinch (found in the freezer section of our local grocery store) top it with a homemade barbeque sauce and serve this BBQ pulled pork sandwich with a side of coleslaw. Recipe here.

They say that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach ... well if that's the case ...
Hey there handsome and tres handy cowboy ! Watch out !

*this wonderful recipe arrived here at 29 Black Street along with the handsome cowboy.

**of All Things Good

5 comments:

  1. You mean the rest of the world has found out about that hot sauce! It is a staple in my Halifax Vietnamese daughter-in-law's kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at that bowl of yumminess. You always make me regret what I make and wish I had made what you made. And now, what the cowboy makes. I love coming here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "My desire to keep my Prince (oATG)** not only very well nourished but as happy as a clam has become a primary focus of each day. Hhhhmmmm What will we have for dinner ?"....I can see the 1950's era illustration that goes with this quote. Get out the kitten heels and white apron with the scallop edges.

    Suzy Homemaker you are making me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you are so beyond sweet!! And you're right, that hot sauce is the food of the gods. Ain't nothin' that don't taste bettah with it.

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.