ships

Tuesday, June 24, 2008


the tugboat pulling a big ship into our little harbour

The tug pulls these big ships in backward, so that when that they're loaded up again at the big dock, they won't have to turn around in the narrow inner harbour to leave again. It's always exciting to see ships coming in, especially the bigger ships which are always accompanied by tugs. And at night, coming or leaving, from my studio window they look as if a well lit city block is gliding past. I'll often hear the hum of the engines before I ever see the ships and then the clanging long rattle sound as they drop the anchor entering the inner harbour.

Last night was prom night here in our little village and as Winnie & I took our evening stroll down into the park, it was filled with smiling teenagers and beaming parents. Poofs of dresses in every colour of the rainbow, handsome tuxedos and fancy rented cars lined the street waiting to squire young couples away. It's a tradition every year - before the dance the park fills up with pomp and circumstance and images of happy young couples, best girlfriends and class mates are captured forever in photos in this park. Last night was a perfect night - warm and sunny with a gentle breeze coming in off the harbour.

It's raining this morning. The air is balmy with not a whiff of wind and the rain is steady and coming straight down. A perfect day - as I climb back out of my most recent fall into the crevasse (perhaps a slight exaggeration but I do love that word) of blue & blahness. In the moment is where I'll be today ... as much as possible.


on a bench in the park watching the ship's arrival

5 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Throwing you a rope in case you need it on your way out of that little ditch. Sounds like youre almost at the top again though.

    The tugs on the harbour here are red and so cute, just like in a child's picture book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of the book "Little Toot" that I loved as a child.

    I am envious of all the interesting things you see on the coast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's kind of like a very miniature Panama Canal...moving the big ships along ... .... only there was much more activity along the banks..nobody sitting on benches... lol...

    the word picture of "a well lit city block gliding past"..... love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love to watch boats like this. my hubbie is canadian and we spent a whole day in windsor a couple of years ago watching boats go up and down. it was such a delightful day. what a gift to be able to do that every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It's raining this morning. The air is balmy with not a whiff of wind and the rain is steady and coming straight down. A perfect day - as I climb back out of my most recent fall into the crevasse (perhaps a slight exaggeration but I do love that word) of blue & blahness. In the moment is where I'll be today ... as much as possible."

    --Oh, how i love to read your stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.