one self

Thursday, March 18, 2010


self portrait - basking in a patch of sunlight in Miss D's upstairs hall look out chair

The finest thing in the world is knowing how to belong to oneself.

Michel de Montaigne

Always with such the serious face ... and oh my les furrowed brow.

For Rachel ... a not particularly candid photo of myself and not a particularly good photo of me.
I don't enjoy looking at images of my self (who really does?) how often do you come across a photo of yourself and say Wow ! look at her ! she looks good ! I know it's because we don't see the same person that others see. I don't really recognize her, it feels like I barely know the person in this photo and I'm so much more comfortable with the me, the self, who's lives her oh so cozy life perched in my head, chattering away all day. She can and does cause me much grief and angst a lot of the time. She talks too much, incessantly, but she and I go way, way back and it feels like I know her so very well.

sigh. I do know, however, that actually ... I don't really know her either.

Some things become so completely our own that we forget them

Antonio Porchia

16 comments:

  1. That's not you....there's no fleece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. snort !!

    yes that is me in my new 100% polyester vintage blouse purchased from etsy seller thrush, a blouse I love and usually cover up with my big drab green ugly fleece top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly have more guts than me when it comes to self portraits but then again you are way cuter, furrowed brow notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mom says "that blouse would go great with a fleece scarf"...hummm
    Tail Wags to All.
    ~moose

    ReplyDelete
  5. So there you are, at last. A Spring flowering.

    Well done you, for being brave enough to show up on your own blog! Not all of us can do that....

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're beautiful in the sunshine and the colors of the blouse are yours.
    Thanks for sharing you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's a fantastic portrait! You're a beautiful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your clear blue eyes look like you are deep in thought. I remember another picture that only showed your eyes and hair as you had on your turtleneck sweater. This one looks like the one with Em...very pretty and interesting kind face. I am so sorry and so sad about Piper Belle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your clear blue eyes look like you are deep in thought. I remember another picture that only showed your eyes and hair as you had on your turtleneck sweater. This one looks like the one with Em...very pretty and interesting kind face. I am so sorry and so sad about Piper Belle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful, alluring woman!! The cowboy is lucky!! Not a flaw on that thoughtful face! Thank you for finally letting us see your entire face. That blouse has perfect colors for you. Your hair must be naturally curly. I like that lipstick, too what is it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan you are a very attractive and beautiful woman! And smart to wear the colours that are perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful - and yeah, it's weird to look at photos and try to connect them to identity... but nevertheless, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, strong, wistful. Love the photo and that you shared it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just thought....it is the first year to share the daffodils with the cowboy, and your first Spring together...Go out and enjoy every minute. I am anxious to see what the cowboy's next project is. More pictures of you both would just thrill us all!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful portrait! Such beautiful eyes.

    I'd pretty much rather go to the dentist than have my picture taken.

    ReplyDelete
  16. you talk too much, as you say, simply because you are a creative expressive soul and i love that. I love your photo too but have to laugh that you are so dour and serious there when you are so filled with love right now. Hee.

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.