oh oh !

Sunday, June 7, 2009


uh huh ! chocolate fudge cake pour une ... uh huh !

or single gal heaven. I crave cake a lot. I'm a cake & ice cream girl and I know myself good and there's no way I'm makin' a full size cake 'cause I know myself well. I would eat half the cake before I'd ever manage to wrap up a slice or two to take across the street to my cat lovin', cake lovin' neighbour Jean. But this ... this is perfect ! just the right size for Mama. Merci to my sister for sending this recipe.

With a scoop of vanilla ice cream (because any/all desserts go better with cream).

5 min chocolate cake in a mug

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug (MicroSafe)

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired. Makes 1-2 servings.

Of course I adapted the recipe, as we foodies like to do. I decided to bake mine in the oven. I'm never in that much of a hurry and somethin' about baking cake in the microwave creeps me out. I divided the batter between two small oven safe ramekins and used an oven temperature of 350. I substituted melted butter for the oil and added chopped imported extra dark chocolate instead of chocolate chips. Bake the tiny cakes for 15-20 mins watching them carefully (the tops will begin to crack when nearly done) and worse can scenario you may have a little molten action in the centres - as if that's a problem. Enjoy.

14 comments:

  1. What an excellent use for my lonely coffee mugs, unused for their original intent. I think we are sisters in our love of cake especially chocolate cake. Bravo for the good chocolate too. Life's too short to eat cheap chocolate.
    What a beautiful Dim Sum Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, what a beautiful plate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh oh. This is a dangerous recipe to have in my hands. A single fresh serving of chocolate cake at my beck and call?

    Thank you. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very dangerous post Susan, how am I supposed to resist that?! At the the age of about 14 or 16 (I cant remember exactly) my sister and I would come home from school and whip up a half size chocolate self saucing pudding which we cooked in the microwave. We'd clean up all trace before our parents got home and they were none the wiser!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems tasty and easy. Two good things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, this recipe went around my office a couple of months ago, so I made it, in the mug, in the microwave. It wasn't bad...but you are sooo right....ice cream is definitely the TICKET!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, thank you Susan! This is TOO perfect for my current situation, which is a finicky lil' ancient stove and having to haul propane by the tank.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yipes. Temptation right on my computer screen!!! Run for cover! Edward and I shall share some popcorn instead!! Apple and the Songwriter as well.

    Loved your recent posts. They made me happy.

    Love to the beautiful Miss Winn...and all those cats!! And to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a feeling this is going to be my favorite recipe! I often crave cake, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, why did you have to make it so damn easy to make? Now I'm in trouble.....looks divine. I'm going to have to work off the calories from yesterday's feast before I can attempt this dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yumm! Love this line: "single gal heaven." Hee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Uh-oh, I'se in BIG trouble.

    Yore adjustments is perfect--bake in oven, use butter, add ice cream--heh.

    FAB ulous. Thanky fer sharin'!

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.