yogurt, sardines & pineapple please

Wednesday, January 9, 2008


another from the illustration archives of SBD

It's +10 already this morning, and wind and even some rain in the forecast. Lovely, lovely, lovely. Means more melting snow and perhaps we can soon get back to our walks through pastures or at the golf course. The snow still too deep for dog legs.

Well we're up, we're down, we're fine, we're not so fine. Yesterday Jake went from feeling pretty good, to I think he must be surely dying, and then back to feeling really good again. I'm exhausted from trying to figure it out, from begging & pleading, with God or whoever, to let him please be healthy, to let him live a few more years. Each time I see him SO sick, in such discomfort, SO not himself - his kooky, crazy, hungry-all-the-time Noodle self, I get a little bit closer to a kind of peace with it all. Because I cannot bear to see him suffer like that. Our vet and I had a telephone conversation yesterday about the likelihood of it being pancreatitis - and she thinks not. Apparently when a dog is suffering from that, they're just sick, really sick, and they don't have these rebounds of normal, energetic, healthy self again. He slept well last night and I in my own bed, tucked in with a Bill Bryson book*, and yes he has been up already barking at the cat food dishes. Big Smile. We're still watching what we eat and I'm feeding him smaller portions, and more often, of healthy foods that he loves. Yogurt & sardines, lean hamburger, rice & squash. Cauliflower, broccoli and fresh pineapple please. Smile.

I have a challenging full colour paintings x 4 project on the go this week. So nice to work in colour for a change again as most of what I do is just black & white technical drawings. Would love to have these 4 paintings wrapped up by the end of the weekend and a healthy happy Noodle would help so much in reaching that goal. Fingers crossed & prayers said.

* I'm re-reading Bill Bryson's Neither Here Nor There - he decides in middle age to re-trace his footprints and re-do the European backpacking trip of his youth. It's laugh out loud funny. Just what I needed and thanks to Joni for reminding me about Bill in an email.


treated myself to this book

ordered & shipped yesterday from Chapters/Indigo, it's been on my wish list for awhile now
. A book of hand drawn and found typography by graphic designer Michael Perry

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful drawing Susan, I am waiting for those cards to appear on Etsy :)
    You have me thinking I should watch what I feed Roby too - it is amazing how those snacks find their way into his mouth especially when you have a pup laying his snout on your knee looking at you with those soulful eyes. They are such masters of manipualtion - Have me trained well! Starting today no more crap for him! and probably for me 'cause I can't deal with the look. I'll miss those potato chips - hugs Joni

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey....I love your pretty fairy! she is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOOOOOVE your drawing. WOW. Will you be posting your paintings, as well? PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE?!

    Thanks SO much for the tip-off of Andre--- I LOOOOOVE the work! May have to post about it in a few...

    I do hope Jake gets better soon. :(

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.